Key verse 6:12-13, “12 One of those days Jesus went out to a mountainside to pray, and spent the night praying to God. 13 When morning came, he called his disciples to him and chose twelve of them, whom he also designated apostles.”
1. What person stands out while Jesus was teaching (6)? How did his condition impact his life? When they saw him, what did the religious leaders think and why (7; 5:21,30; 6:2)?
2. In this situation, what did Jesus do first (8)? What did his question imply (9)? What did Jesus say to the man and what happened (10)? How did the religious leaders respond (11)?
3. After this incident, what did Jesus do (12)? Why did he pray so intensely (Eph 6:12)? What direction did Jesus find (13)? What can we learn from his prayer and focus on these men?
4. Who is listed here (14-16)? Think about each one (Ac 4:13). What does “designating them apostles” tell us about his discipleship ministry? Why did Jesus change Simon’s name and how else did he help him (5:8,10; 9:1-2,20,23; 22:31-32)?
5. Who were there when Jesus went down with the twelve and stood on a level place (17-19)? What did Jesus do for them? What can we learn from this passage about making disciples in these times?