1. Read verses 32-44. Who was Simon and why was his help needed? Where did the crucifixion take place? What did the soldiers do? (Compare Ps 22:16-18).
2. What shows Jesus' physical weakness? His resolve? How did the passers-by taunt him and tempt him? What truth is hidden in the taunts of the religious leaders? What is the meaning of his suffering to us? (Isa 53:3,4,12; 1 Pe 2:24)
3. Why did he refuse to come down from the cross and prove that he is the Son of God? Why did he refuse to save himself? (Mt 4:5-7; 26:53,54) How was scripture fulfilled? (Isa 53:12b; Ps 22:7,8)
4. Read verses 45-49. What does it mean that the world became dark? What did Jesus cry out? What was Jesus' deepest agony and his confidence? (Ps 22:1-3; Isa 59:2; 53:6b; 12bc)
5. Read verses 50-54. What happened at the moment of Jesus' death? What does it mean that the curtain of the temple was torn? That tombs broke open? What was the testimony of the centurion? (Heb 10:19,20)
6. What is the meaning to us and to the world of Jesus' death? (Heb 9:12-14, 22b,25,26: 1 Ti 2:5; Php 2:6-8; Heb 5:8-9)
7. Read verses 55-61. Who witnessed these things? Who was Joseph and how was he changed? How did he contribute to gospel history?