"Tell the priests who carry the ark of the covenant: `When you reach the edge of the Jordan's waters, go and stand in the river.'"
1. Read verse 1. What did Joshua and the people do after hearing the report of the spies? (2:24) Read verses 2-4. What instructions did the officers give the people? Why?
2. What is the ark of the covenant that they should follow it? Why should they keep a distance? Why must it be carried by the priests? (2Sa 6:6-11) What can we learn here about following the word of God?
3. Read verse 5. Why should they consecrate themselves? What does it mean to consecrate oneself? (Jn 17:19) Read verses 6-8. How and why would God begin to exalt Joshua?
4. Read verses 6-13. What were the priests carrying the ark to do? Why must they do this? What was God teaching Israel through the crossing of the Jordan?
5. Read verses 14-17. Describe the crossing of the Jordan. What was the role of the priests? What do we learn here about God? About faith? About leadership?