1. Read verses 1-2. What was the situation of the people of Judah and Jerusalem? Review God's plans, promises and blessings: Ex 19:5,6; Dt 6:5,10-12. What had happened to them when they did not maintain God's blessings?
2. Read verses 3-5. What plan did King Nebuchadnezzar have to make use of the conquered people? What were the qualifications of those selected? How and for how long were they to be trained? What special benefits did they receive?
3. Read verses 6-8. Who were the young men selected from Judah? What new names did the steward give them? Why did he change their names? What did Daniel resolve? Why? Why would it be hard to keep his decision?
4. Read verses 9-16. How did he get permission to carry out his decision? What happened? Why is it important for a person to make such a decision of faith before God?
5. Read verses 17-21. How did God help these four young men? How did they do on their orals before the king? (18-20) What can we learn from Daniel about how to obtain God's blessing? What can we learn about God?