1. What is children’s duty to their parents? (1; Col 3:20) What does “in the Lord” imply? What is the basis of children’s duty to obey parents? (2) What promises are given to obedient children? (3) Why is it so important for children to obey their parents?
2. What instruction does Paul give parents?1 (4a; Col 3:21) What causes children to be exasperated? What should parents do instead? (4b) How can parents raise their children in the Lord practically? (2 Ti 3:15-17)
3. Read verses 5-6. How does Paul describe the quality of obedience Christian slaves2 should have toward their masters? Why is accepting Christ’s Lordship essential for this kind of obedience? How can we practice it in whatever we do? (3:17a)
4. What kind of service does Paul exhort Christian slaves to give their masters? (7) What motivates them to serve in this way? (8; Heb 11:6b)
5. How should Christian masters view and treat their slaves? (9a) What does “in the same way” mean? (7-8) What sinful tendency must Christian masters avoid, and for what reason? (9b)
6. In light of this passage as a whole, why is it so important to accept the Lordship of Christ practically in the Christian home and workplace?