Key Verse 22:42
1. Read verses 39-40. As disciples who follow Jesus, what temptation(s) might come their way that they should pray? Why is prayer a safeguard against temptation?
2. Read verse 41. What do the following expressions teach us about [personal] prayer? a) "He withdrew..."; b) "knelt down"; and c) "and [prayed]".
3. Verse 42 describes Jesus' words of prayer. What does "this cup" refer to? (Luke 18:31-33) What does this passage teach us about: a) God the Father; b) Jesus; and c) the purpose of prayer (40,46)?
4. Read verse 43. When (during the time of Jesus' prayer) did the angel appear? What does this passage tell us about the efficacy of prayer?
5. Read verse 44. In time of anguish what did Jesus do? To what extent did he struggle?
6. Read verses 45-46. Verse 45 explains the reason why the disciples fell "asleep". Yet, why does Jesus say, "Why are you sleeping?" What can we learn about the need for prayer?