(Special Christmas Message 2: God's Promise to David)
1 Chronicles 17:1-27
Key Verse 17:14
"I will set him over my house and my kingdom forever; his throne will be established forever."
1. Read verses 1-6. How did King David feel after building his palace and settling in it? What does this show us about David? What kind of house do you think David had in mind for the Lord? Yet, what did God say to him about building a house? How had God stayed with his people thus far? What does this show about God?
2. Read verses 6-10a. With what role to serve did God raise up leaders for his people? What were the main duties of kings in those days? How did God raise up David to be a ruler for his people? (1Ch 11:1-2) How was David like a shepherd king over Israel? What were the fruits of his kingship thus far? What did God promise to do for his people?
3. Read verses 10b-15. What two things God promise to do for David? What does a throne represent? What do the words "forever", "over my house and my kingdom", and "I will be his father, and he will be my son", tell us about the throne to be established for David's offspring? To whom does David's "offspring" refer? (13; Rev 22:16)
4. What happened to David's royal line in the days of the Babylonian empire and afterward? What eventually happened to the temple that Solomon built and which was later rebuilt by Herod? (Mat 24:1-2) What does this history tell us about the fulfillment of God's promise? In what way is Jesus fulfilling the promise to be over God's kingdom? (9-10; Isa 9:7; Jer 23:5-6) Who can enjoy the benefits of Jesus' kingdom and rule?
5. The Lord begins by saying he will build David's house, but finishes by saying that David's offspring will build God's house. How are the two related? In what way is Jesus fulfilling the promise to build God's house? (1 Cor 3:9) What future hope do we have in Jesus?
6. Read verses 16-27. What was David's confession about God after receiving this promise? What was David's attitude about himself? What did David pray to be done through God fulfilling this promise? (24)