"By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going."
* ABRAHAM OBEYED GOD'S CALLING (8-16)
1. Read verse 8. Compare Ge 12:1-3,7. What did God call Abraham to do? What did God promise? According to Hebrews, how did Abraham respond? Why might this not be easy? What can we learn from Abraham here?
2. Read verses 9,10. What was life in the promised land like? (9, Ge12:7) What does it mean that he lived in a tent? What was his hope? What inheritance did Abraham bequeath to his descendants? (10)
3. Read verses 11-12. To what promise does verse 11 refer? How was Abraham enabled to become the father of Isaac? What did he believe about God? How did God bless his faith? (12)
4. Read verses 13-16. What did Abraham and his descendants have in common? What could they see with the eyes of faith? How could they be full of joy when they had to live as aliens and pilgrims on earth?
5. Look at verses 15 and 16 again. What does it mean that God was not ashamed to be called their God?
* ABRAHAM'S FAITH IN GOD'S LOVE (17-19)
6. How did God test Abraham's love? What did Abraham do? What did he believe? How could he overcome fear in making such a sacrifice? (1Jn 4:18a) What can we learn from him?
* ISAAC, JACOB AND JOSEPH (20-22)
7. Read verse 20. (What characterized Isaac's faith? [Genesis 26]) How did he bear God's blessing and pass his faith on to his descendants?
8. Read verse 21. What did Jacob learn after his life of struggle? (Compare Ge 48:12-16)
9. Read verse 22. What was Joseph's sure hope? Why did he give instructions about his bones? (Ge 50:24-26) How does this plant hope in his people?
10. How does Joseph's final request show that he overcame both the trials of unjust suffering and the temptations of success? (Think about Joseph's life.)