“Be shepherds of God's flock that is under your care, serving as overseers - not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to; not greedy for money, but eager to serve....”
1. Read verse 1. To whom is Peter speaking? What does it mean that he calls himself a fellow elder? What does it mean to Peter that he is a witness of Christ's sufferings? That he will share in his glory?
2. Read verse 2a. What charge did he give the elders? What does it mean to be a shepherd of the flock of God?
3. Read verses 2-3. What should be the attitude of a shepherd toward his task? What should be his motive? (2) How should he exercise leadership? (3) What does "lording it over" mean? How can he be an example?
4. Read verse 4. When does a shepherd receive his reward? What is his reward?
5. Read verses 5-7. What attitude should a young man have toward his elders? Toward his peers? Why? What does it mean to be humble? What does it mean to cast our cares on God? What does it mean that he cares for us?
6. Read verses 8-11. Why must we always be self-controlled and alert? How can we win the victory over our enemy the devil? Why must we?
7. Read verses 12-14. What can you learn about Peter and the early church from his final greetings?