“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.”
1. How does Peter identify himself? What does this mean to him? To his readers? To whom is this letter written? What does it mean to be God s elect ? Why are they called strangers in the world?
2. Read verse 2.. How did God work to make these believers his own people? What does verse 2 teach us about what it means to be a believer in Jesus?
3. Read verse 3. What does this verse teach about God? Why we praise him? What is a living hope ? What does he mean by a new birth? Why do we need a new birth? How does God bring it about? (3,23; Jn 3:3)
4. Read verse 4. What is the nature of our inheritance? How is it different from a material inheritance? What does this mean to you? Read verse 5. How are God s people kept and protected?
5. Read verses 6-7. Why do God s people greatly rejoice? Why is faith of greater worth than gold? How is faith refined? With what result?
6. Read verses 8-9. How can we love Jesus whom we have not seen? What is the result of loving Jesus? How does this change our attitudes toward others? Why does loving Jesus bring such great joy?
7. Read verses 10-12. How else does Peter describe the value of our salvation and the greatness of our privilege? What can we learn from the prophets of old?